Friday, January 30, 2009

Fried Green Tomatoes with Remoulade Sauce!




Of course, I am a southern gal... Fried green tomatoes are a truly Southern thang ya'll! I have seen my mom make them before, and have had them at a couple restaurants, most recently in West Virginia on our way home from New York. I found some green tomatoes at the grocery store the other day, and couldn't wait to make some myself for the first time!

One of the times I had Fried Green Tomatoes was at Huey's on River Street. They serve theirs with a "Remoulade" sauce... I had to make a recipe up for some so I could dip em! I love dips and sauces!

I didn't get pictures of any steps along the way- mostly because I couldn't wait to get them cooked and in my belly!!

Fried Green Tomatoes
This Recipe came from the Whistlestop Cafe site... I know you have seen the movie!

3-4 green tomatoes
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cup corn meal
1/2 tsp salt & pepper
milk
vegetable oil
Mix together flour, cornmeal, salt & pepper. Add enough milk to create a thick batter. Heat 2 inches of oil in a large skillet. Batter each tomato slice, and wipe off excess. Carefully place in hot oil, browning on both sides. (may or may not need turning, depending on the amount of oil) To cool, drain in a colander or on a papertowel on a place to keep tomatoes from becoming soggy. Salt to taste.

Serve with Remoulade Sauce below or alone- So Good!

Remoulade Sauce

1/2 cup mayonaise
2 tablespoons horseradish (unless you are skeered)
1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish
1/8 cup lemon juice
1 heaping tablespoon sugar
couple sprinkles paprika for color IN the sauce as well on top of finished product

Tomorrow... Lemon Pepper Chicken with Fresh Green Beans and Potatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment