Thursday, March 26, 2009

Finally Pictures of FOOD!


okay... it is ONE picture- who's counting??

I have been blog-hopping and have come across so many interesting blogs! I LOVE people who blog about recipes!!


My dinner last night consisted of two different bloggers recipes! The pot roast, and the roll were compliments of 2 great bloggers! The rice on the plate... that was compliments of a rice cooker.
And don't be fooled... OF COURSE I added sauce on top of my rice... I just thought this looked better haha.

The recipe looked interesting because of the tomato based sauce that gives the same ol' same ol' pot roast a twist!

Pot Roast
1 (14.5-ounce) can stewed tomatoes, cut in 1 inch pieces, juices reserved
1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
1 (1 ounce)envelope of dried onion soup mix
1 (3 1/2 pound)boneless beef chuck roast (or really whatever size you have)

To her original ingredients above, I accidentally added a can of tomato sauce also- because I wasn't looking at the recipe... duh... but it worked out great!!


I always brown meat before putting it in the crock-pot... I don't know why- I just do!
So I brown the roast in a dab of oil on the stove top. While browning, I sprinkle the roast with garlic powder, salt and pepper on both sides.


While the roast is browning on the stove top, I turned on the crock pot and added all of the other ingredients, and used a fork to mix it up well.

Once Brown, the meat goes in- the lid goes on- cook for about 8 hours on low... or if you can cook on high for about 4-5 hours. Your meat should be so tender that it just falls apart!

Her recipe was for Italian Herb Rolls!
She made hers a little longer- more like hoagie rolls- I made mine like dinner rolls. They were a big hit! I served them hot out the oven with butter.

I am going to copy and paste here- because she does a better job than I would explaining!

Italian Herb Rolls
2 1/4 tsp. yeast (or 1 pkg)
1 C warm water + 1 T (if using wheat flour)
1 T sugar
1/8 C olive oil
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 T dried basil
1/2 T dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder (or fresh minced garlic)
1/2 tsp. onion powder (or onion flakes)
1/4 C grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
3 C. bread flour
Combine ingredients in the bread machine, in the order listed by your machine. Mine call for all the wet ingredients first, and the salt next. Then all the dry ingredients, topped off with the yeast. Set to dough cycle, and let it do the kneading for you!


Alternatively, you can...Mix the yeast, water and sugar in a bowl and set aside until yeast is activated (you'll see it because it's foamy).In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients but the flour and stir to combine. Next, add 1.5 C of flour and mix well. Add dry ingredients to the yeasty mix and stir well to combine. Continue adding the remaining 1.5 C of flour until dough stiffens. When stiff, place dough on a lightly floured surface and knead for 5-10 minutes, or until smooth and silky.Lightly mist a bowl with oil/cooking spray, and place the dough in the bowl, and turn to coat the dough with the oil. Cover with a towel and set in a warm place to rise until dough has doubled in size. This takes between 60-90 minutes, depending on the temperature of your kitchen.
Here's where you pick up the recipe if you've made the dough with the bread machine.
Punch down the dough and form into rolls. Place rolls on a lightly greased pan and cover to let rise again for about 30 mins or until they have doubled.
Depending on the size of your roll- cooking times will vary. I cooked mine at 350 for 20 mins and they were perfect!!

3 comments:

  1. oh - those dinner rolls look awesome! So glad you enjoyed them too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm happy you liked the roast...it is a yummy recipe but best of all it's simple!!! We like simple in this house! The rolls look really good...mmmnnnnnn

    ReplyDelete
  3. Italian rolls sound so yummy! Gonna have to try these this week with our stew!

    ReplyDelete