Monday, June 8, 2009

Greek Chicken Gyros and Oven Roasted Potatoes




I borrowed this recipe from http://theungourmet.blogspot.com/2009/05/chicken-gyros-with-oikos-greek-yogurt.html
She has lots of yummy looking recipes!

I think part of the trick for the sauce is to get GREEK yogurt. Of course I couldn't find any at the commissary the other day, so I got regular plain yogurt. My sauce was a tad runny... but it still tasted good.
And the potatoes were FAB!!

The Ungourmet marinated her chicken all day in the following ingredients and placed it on the grill to cook.
I of course don't grill well, so I did my version by browning my chicken in a little olive oil, then placing all the ingredients in the crock-pot to let it cook all afternoon. It was super tender and just naturally shredded itself. So I just stirred it up in all the juices! The chicken had a great taste.

For Chicken:
juice from 1 lemon
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp marjoram
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp kosher salt
cracked pepper


Cucumber Sauce:
1 cup of Oikos Greek Yogurt
1/2 cucumber, peeled and grated
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/2 tsp oregano
pinch of dill
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 tsp salt
(To this I also added 1tsp of seasoned salt)

Squeeze all the water you can get out of your cucumber. Combine all ingredients and allow to sit in the fridge for at least an hour for them to combine well.

For the potatoes- I follwed her directions exactly-
Wash and slice in about 1/4" slices. Brush with olive oil and sprinkled with a mixture of kosher salt, paprika, oregano, onion powder, and cracked pepper. I placed them in a 425 degree oven to cook (20 mins or so... just keep an eye on them, and test them with a fork to make sure they are tender) and then finished them under the broiler to brown them just a touch more, which also made them crispy!


Place chicken on warmed flatbread, add grated cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce, (we also added Feta and Greek olives) and don't forget the sauce!!

4 comments:

  1. I am so thrilled that you liked my recipe! Thanks for trying it!

    Your addition of the Feta and Greek Olives is a terrific one. I bet it added some zing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made that one too. My family loved it! So good!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. ooh...Love this! I only just tried gyros myself abt a month ago...I can't believe it took me so long to try this! Now I can make this at home with this great recipe! THanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. when i bought my house throught costa rica homes for sale i wanted a great kitchen with a big space to put a big oven. Now i can baking every kind of cakes in there.

    ReplyDelete